Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What's Up in July

The first post of July.

I cannot believe it's already July! Half of the year is already over. Before I know it, Lily will be 1 and we'll be decorating the Christmas tree!

Okay, okay, I cannot even think about Christmas while it's 95 degrees and hot, hot, hot here in Columbus.

This past weekend was marvelous. Jordan has early release on Friday and did not return to work until Tuesday! Lily and I were spoiled like crazy. We love having Jordan home. It's our favorite. thing. ever.

Saturday was a big 2nd Annual Independence Day Extravaganza Bonanza. The weather was perfect - sunny, not too hot and clear skies all over. Jordan and prepared all week long for the party: pinata with candy, red, white & blue decor, food, prizes, toys, tent, chairs, streamers. At the last minute, Jordan's parents were able to come down for the party to play and help with Miss Lily. Thank goodness they came! Lily took to Susan very well and let her hold her for almost the entire party which let me take care of food and guests. We had about 20 adults and 10 little kiddies ranging from 6 months to 4 years old.

The night started out with an awesome BBQ - we made hot dogs, brats and cheeseburgers on the grill. And when I say we, I really mean Jordan. I also put out a veggie tray and pasta salad as well as a patriotic striped delight dessert. Everyone brought delicious sides and it was a little piece of patriotic heaven.

After we all ate, we went on a parade up and down Hartsdale Drive. I had decorated all of our strollers earlier in the days so all the kids got to ride in style. We handed out flags and marched to Stars and Stripes Forever. So fun! At the end, we all gathered in front of the flag and pledged our allegiance.

The parade tradition has been in Jordan's family for a long time. The last few years we've participated in them at Jordan's parents home. Always music, flags, instruments and lots of of fun. We've decided to keep the tradition alive. Hopefully next year we'll get more of the block into it, although our neighbors came out to cheer us on!

We then had a pinata for the kiddies, which was so cute! Followed by a couples water balloon toss with Bath & Body Works/Victoria's Secret prizes. Too funny.

Then the boys - er - our fully grown husbands, had a water balloon fight and started lighting anything and everything on fire. Except for the kiddies of course. The night ended around 9:30 as the last couple took off. We were exhausted but had such a wonderful time!

I didn't take any pictures.. but will be getting some soon and then I'll post them

2 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun family traditions-great you are carrying them on.

Valerie said...

Don't you just love those days off?!!! I am off on Fridays for the whole summer and I absolutely love it. So glad Jordan could celebrate the long weekend with you :)