Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sunday

The last few days I have been pre-occupied, or more like obsessed, with family history researching. As I mentioned in my previous post, I started another blog dedicated to the stories of my maternal grandparents: Allen and Anna Mae Picklesimer. So needless to say, I have posted like 10 times on the A&A blog and not once here this week!

I thought I would briefly write about Sunday which was Father's day. We were in Kentucky and spent most of the day driving back from Paintsville. The prior weekend, I could not hold off any longer and gave Jordan one of his Father's day presents so he could enjoy his new basketball shorts the whole week and at the reunion. On Sunday, we gave him cedar grilling planks and a sweet card.

But... when we woke up on Sunday morning, I immediately went into tasking mode. We had to all get dressed, fed, packed and ready for a devotional in the hotel at 9:00am. As we were getting ready, Jordan looks over to me and says in a sheepish tone (which is so not Jordan) - 'Isn't today Father's day?' My heart seriously almost broke. I knew he didn't want to make a big deal out of it since he had received his presents already but I felt horrible  for not saying happy Father's day first thing! I hugged him and told him so, and then told him that one of the most enjoyable thing being the Mother of or child, is that I have been able to see his love transform into a new kind of love that is he gives to Lily and will give to our other children. I know the love he has for me and the constant, daily consideration he showers me with. But what a joy and satisfying thing it is to see that same dedication and commitment to happiness showered on little Lily.

He has surpassed my expectations as the father of Lily and husband to me. Jordan is the youngest in his family of 5 and never really spent a lot of time around kids. Sure, his Mother had little runs running around that she took care of, but he never had to change diapers, handle crying wee ones and all the care associated with babies.

I wasn't ever worried  about Jordan as a father but I wondered how much of a culture shock it would be for him, stepping into Fatherhood. I knew Jordan's father gave him a wonderful, if not perfect example of what a Father is, does, acts and protects his household. As the years passed into our marriage, I began to see Jordan really warm up to little ones. If  you know me, you know I love children - of all ages, shapes and sizes! But it was so cute to see Jordan beginning to share my love for little ones.

As I think back these past 8 months (wow!) of our life with Lily, I am so thankful for a wonderful Father and husband. I recall when I went through post-partum blues and his rock solid support for one of the darkest mental points in my life, all the nights he woke up every single time with me to change Lily's diaper and rest his arm on my back as I nursed, all the days where I would call/email him about to lose my mind because being a Mom was so new and stressful for me. I remember all the rocking, hugs, smiles, kisses, songs, lullabies. I recall all the baths he gives Lily - he bathes her every time - I have bathed Lily maybe 5 times her entire life! I remember all the times I had a meeting, a youth activity for church, needed to shop or some other event that required me leaving the house, solo and how he would feed and take care of Lily.

What a wonderful Dad and husband he is!

2 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

You are lucky and blessed and so is he! What a wonderful tribute to my brother. Nice job, Jordan!

Great Grandma Lin said...

yep, you have a marvelous hubby and dad-in-law who set a good example.