We had a fantastic weekend, Jordan took Friday off and we played all weekend long. I'll have to blog about that happenings with pictures later when I have more time.
But I just have to vent quickly before Lily wakes up. Note, most of you will not care in the slightest but I was totally angered that the History Channel would endorse and air such a bogus episode about the Mayan people.
Last night, I was flipping through channels and saw a show on the History Channel about the Mayans. As most of you know, I majored in Latin American Studies/Spanish and I love all the pre-Colonial history of the Americas. The show instantly perked my attention and I started watching it. The episode was called 'Apocalypse Island'.
The synopsis is as follows: the Maya believe the world will end in 2012 (debatable in my opinion, but a commonly held thought must subscribe to) and the explorer (James Turner) claimed he found a 'monument' in a remote island off of Chile where the final clue to the end of the world will be.
IT WAS 2 HOURS LONG.
What a waste of time. It was completely bogus. The Mayans DID NOT build this 'monument', it was just a column of basalt. It was not a statue of the sun god. There was no jaguar monument. There are no clues about Mayans, the end of the world or anything!!
Can anyone just claim something and then get the History Channel to dish out mad $$ and then air the film??
That is not an accurate portrayal of the Mayan people.
Click here for the explorer's link (and all his bonker claims).
Lesson learned: do not believe everything the History Channel airs. It's history according to whoever is giving their opinion at that moment. Not necessarily how it actually happened.
And with that, I am off to nurse Lily.
Monday, March 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment