Saturday, September 3, 2011

Big Girl Room

A little over three weeks ago, we moved Lily into her big girl room. It had been a work in progress for a couple of months - finding the furniture on Craigslist, painting some of the items, gathering all of the bedding, etc. Lily helped us as we set up her big girl room so she would know that this is for her and become familiar with the room before she moved in and before the baby comes.

After our trip to Michigan to visit Jordan's oldest sister, Dawn, we decided to move her over to her new room. The whole event was emotional for both Jordan and I but not for Lily. She was totally psyched to be napping and going to bed in her new room! Jordan and I recalled a similar feeling when we moved Lily out of her bassinet (which was in our room - more like our walk in closet) into her crib in the nursery. It was sad because she was growing up but wonderful at the same time because she was becoming more independent.

The transition has been amazing. I am really, really surprised. She waits for us to come get her from her nap or bed time and hasn't gotten out of her bed... yet! She still whimpers or cries a little bit when waking up from her nap but I think that'll fizzle out in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to teach her to say 'Mama, awake!' instead of crying. I am praying that once the baby comes there will be little regression when it comes to her big girl room.

Here are the pictures! I think the whole room costs us less than $150 for everything in the room.


A view from first entrance




Her closet with a Sesame Street height chart






A rocker I bought at a garage sale for $4 and then painted the flowers and her name on it, then added a bow





Her cutie pie toddler bed, which was free on Craigslist - thanks to a kind family!





Her hamper, bookcase and shelf






The 'reading corner' with her blankie basket - I really wanted a big, comfy chair in her room so we could read before bed or we could comfort her at night if she needed it. I am so glad I searched and searched Craigslist for the chair (and a reasonable price - $50) we have used it and love it.



Her dresser, which we painted, also from Craiglist $35 - the fabric squares and the lampshade were all $1 at a garage sale





Voila!


1 comment:

Mark, Stacy, & Jack said...

Super cute, I love the decor! I'm a little jealous- we only have 2 rooms so Jack and Tess will have to share for a while. It's awesome that Lily stays in her bed, I'm nervous for when we go to the "big boy bed" I'm afraid Jack isn't going to stay in it.