Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Eve Girl's Visit

*Late post*

As I lay in my hospital bed, post op from my appendectomy, I was trying to fall asleep but having a very hard time. I was alone in a hospital room while my sweet, warm, newborn was at home with the rest of my my family that I was missing.

When I was a little girl and I couldn't fall asleep at night, I found a trick that would help me. I would make believe a story in my head, a story line that may be impossible, but one I could wish for. That night at the hospital, I replayed what it would be like to have my best friend Colleen come to visit me. I thought about all the things we could do, until I fell asleep. 

I texted Colleen the next day and told her the only way I could fall asleep was thinking of her to come visit. Then, the plans began.

She would come visit and bring her two little girls with her, once my Dad and Teresa were supposed to leave. 


Colleen flew down by herself with Savannah (Lily's BFF age 4) and Cici (age 1).


They came in on a Monday night and stayed through Friday night. Lily and Savannah were in Heaven. Literally. They played, all day, for 5 days. I think it will be a memory she keeps with her for life.


Colleen did everything for us. Jordan went back to work and I was still recovering from my surgery and delivery. I would take care of Marius but that was it. I got a nap every single day. She prepared, cleaned up all the meals. She even made our favorite banana muffins with Robert who loves to bake :)


Savvy turned 4 while she was in Florida!! I was able to make a cake for her, decorated with fruit snacks.


I think she was pretty happy about it all, especially as we sang happy birthday to her!


Just playing


Breakfast, sitting next to me


Little Miss Cici


Or as Robert calls her, TeeTee :)


Here are the amazing crescent rolls that Colleen made for us. A huge batch while taking care of Cici who, unknown at the time, had a double ear infection. Making and baking bread with a whiny toddler is more than challenging but Colleen did it. She left out a few for us and then froze the rest so we could have them later. They were amazing!


Jordan took the girls for a bike ride one evening


They each had a camera and could take pictures of whatever they liked. The results were pretty cute!


The sky as the rode on their bike ride with Jordan. Gorgeous.



Little Cici coming to smile at me


Yes, that is what just having a baby, surgery and D&C look like. How cute is Cici?


Rob playing with the toys that the fairies brought for the kids to play with each day


Pretty colored pinwheels and water rockets


This is what the girls did everyday: craft!


Jordan came home for lunch one day to help the girls make a concrete stone full of their seashell and gem design. He even drilled out a few seashells to make a necklace for Savvy


Cici enjoying breakfast


Robert doing the same, in his booster seat. It's amazing that Colleen took care of 4 kids under 4 for 5 days while I sat on the couch and recovered. It was amazing to watch her!


More crafting on Jordan's lunch break


This photo was taken the night that Colleen flew in, a little Marius snuggled up on her chest, sleeping. How precious. Makes me miss her oh so much!


What a wonderful sight this was!! All 4 kids just playing and having a good time in Lily's room. 


Colleen making banana muffins (one of Robert's favorite things to eat!) and she let him help. So patient and gentle with him :)


As I look through these photos, posting this post 5 months later, I am still so grateful for Colleen's service to me, my husband, my children - my mental, emotional and physical needs at the time were met by her. I was also grateful to Candler for sparing his wife to be our helper for 5 days.

It makes me miss her so much. And that has been one of the hardest parts of being in Florida. Not being close to my family, Jordan's family and then the Eve's - who are family to us. I'm so grateful to have her, Candler, Savvy and Cici in our lives. God must love me.

1 comment:

Susan said...

baking is the best therapy