Monday, December 10, 2012

Cradle

 
This beautiful cradle was crafted and built by my maternal grandfather about 30 years ago.
 
Quite some time ago, a lady from my homeward who had grown up with my mom and her family, facebooked me to let me know she had moved back to the Ohio area and that she still had a cradle that my grandfather had made for her with her first child! I couldn't believe it!
 
With her in Cincinnati and me in Columbus, I wasn't quite sure how we'd touch base but I let her know that I would love to have it. Months later, my grandmother passes away and Julie said she is coming to the funeral. I asked her if she would bring the cradle and she did!
 
It needed sanded and refinished but it was so amazing to have this piece of family history brought to my family!

 
Jordan went to work - sanding, re-staining and putting on a clear coat.

 
Instead of using a traditional washer, Jordan used a quarter... quirky with a personal touch

 
Now we need a little baby to go in there.. not anytime soon, but some day :)

1 comment:

Susan said...

this would be the perfect christmas decoration. Add straw and a baby Jesus and let some lovely huge star hang over it. My friend just did this sort of set up for her ward in MI. Her dad made a manger, smaller than yours but you get the idea.