Monday, September 20, 2010

Mae

Lily's middle name is Mae.

Jordan's maternal grandmother's middle name was Mae.

My maternal grandmother's middle name is Mae.

Both Jordan and I have such fond and sweet memories of our maternal grandmother's. Often Jordan will do something or say something a certain way and then comment that is how his grandma would have said it. For example, Jordan lived just down the block from his grandma. When he was younger, he would go to visit often and when he would walk in he would look for her. He said he would find her by a certain whistle tone - she would whistle and he would be able to find her. Now, that is always how Jordan and I find each other; in the house or in big stores - Walmart, Hobby Lobby etc.

I have so many sweet memories of my grandma. She would rock me on her swing in her sunroom almost everyday during the summer. I can remember falling asleep with my head in her lap as she sang church hymns; especially the hymn 'Love One Another'. I can remember going to visit my grandma so many times as a child and teenager and seeing her in the back bedroom working on her computer. She was a huge genealogist. She researched thousands of people and created an amazing amount of family history. I remember her cooking - rolls, mashed potates. Or sipping postum with toast each morning. I remember her doing the laundry, doing the dishes, folding laundry and always working to keep her house clean. She always told me I was such a sweet, pretty girl - as a 5 year old and even just a few days ago.

Sadly, Jordan's grandma passed years ago when he was serving a mission for our church.

As for my grandma, her days are numbered.. She will pass soon. Her kidneys have failed and she is preparing for death. How does one prepare for their own death? My poor, sad grandpa has sat by her side for over 50 years. He has not left her side these last few days at the hospital. He cried. I have never seen my grandpa cry.

Instead of dwelling on the end of my grandma's life, I have decided to think on all the many wonderful things she accomplished in her life.

Me, my grandma, Briana and Jaye circa 1991


Grandma, Briana and I circa 1990


Me, my mom, grandma and Briana circa 1992


A common theme in each of these pictures is that grandma always had a child on her lap or snuggled up next to her. She loved us so much!

1 comment:

Susan said...

i don't know how to prepare for your own death...it's bad enough to prepared for a mom's. we went to visit a friend to help her prepare her funeral plans since she was due to have a surgery and was told she wouldn't/couldn't live through it. That was hard, too.

But then sadly or gladly, it turned out the fall she took a year ago broke her pelvis and no one discovered it. So no surgery, no death...yet.