Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mutual

Last night I received a random phone call from one our YW who is less active. She asked me for a ride to mutual. I was somewhat shocked but agreed that I would pick her up and take her home from the activity.

On the way there she began to open up about her fears in life. She is afraid to go to college this fall, afraid of going to the University Ward, afraid of dating, fearful of meeting new people and the list went on. She then turned the conversation into all her negative perceptions about herself; that is she ugly, fat, has acne and that list also went on.

As I tried to talk to her about these issues, I wondered what could I really do for her?

I can be there to give her love and be her cheerleader on Tuesday's and Sunday's. But other than that, I can't be there all the time for her. I encouraged her to search out the individual worth that Heavenly Father gave her, gave all of us.

I then realized how this all could have been avoided - her parents.

How important of a job, to love unconditionally and give your children the feeling that they are worthwhile, loved and valuable.

My heart goes out to her and I hope that one day she'll be able to give herself the love and encouragement needed, that her parents neglected to supply her.

No comments: