Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Agency

Lesson #1 as a new Mommy:

Children have agency.

Such a a simple concept, agency. I teach my girls in YW all the time about this ability that each of us as individuals have. We are empowered with agency to choose as we please, either something of light or darkness.

These past few days have been a challenge for Lily and I. She has learned an amazing new trick. She can move her head all around, really well. Bad news for me: she is distracted while feeding which means soreness for me.

I was getting really frustrated because nursing was taking a long time, she wasn't eating steadily and I was getting sorer and sorer with each feeding.

I realized that the root cause of this situation happens often in most of our lives. We become frustrated because we cannot control the situation. I could not control Lily to make her stay latched on while she nursed. I could not control how fast or slow she nursed. I could only influence her to eat well and stay focused.

Lesson learned and I will now put a blanket over her while she eats :)

1 comment:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Oh yes, that agency thing...It's pretty awesome, isn't it?! :)