While shopping for sales at Meijer today, (pasta was 2/$1 and canned veggies were 3/$1 and I cannot help myself!)an older Indian gentlemen began looking at Lily. She was in her carseat, with a blanket over the whole thing so the man couldn't see her. He asked if there was a baby in there.
It's always a little weird when complete strangers want to converse about my baby. I am still getting used to it. There is rarely a time when I go out with her that someone doesn't say something to me about her. Oh, the magic of little babies.
Anyway, when I pulled back the blanket, the man was very surprised and started speaking in Hindi. He was trying to get his wife's attention to come over to see Lily. He finally looks at me and says in English - she has a Bindi, on her! She naturally has a Bindi! As my mind raced as to what the meaning of the word 'Bindi' was, he brought his finger up to the point in between his eyebrows.
Oh! He meant Lily's birthmark - what the pediatrician called and 'angel kiss'. Birthmarks are always kisses of some variety.
The Indian man then told me about his tradtion from India where girls wear Bindi's and the luck it brings them. He, as was his wife, was amazed she had a red mark naturally.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's cute!
Hey I've challenged you to a SMACK-DOWN:
http://beinglds.blogspot.com/2010/01/mothers-mantra-nurture.html
Will you accept??
wow...a lucky bindi. how special. hope you wrote that in her baby book
Post a Comment