Wednesday, October 17, 2012

12 Months

That smile is just adorable.. my little Robert!
 
 
He is now a 1 year old! I find that he is gaining more independence each week, which makes things easier on me but a bit sad at the same time.
 
We went to the doctor for his 12 month check up and everything looked well. We had Lily with us and I prepared her for Rob's shots that morning. I would tell her that he will get 4 shots that will keep him healthy, he will cry but we can tell him it will be okay. Once in the doctor's office, I reminded her again, that he will cry but we can love him. The nurse came in with the shots, gave 2 to Rob with just a whimper, but when the 3rd one came he screamed and turned red.
 
Lily's face lost color and she started whimpering. I told her she was okay and that we need to help Rob! She hopped off the chair and came over and began to hug him while he cried. It was so sweet!

 
His stats
Weight: 22lbs 7oz (45th %)
Height: 29 3/4 inches (50th %)


 
On his actual birthday, which was on a Thursday, Lily, Rob and I headed to Dairy Queen to pick up a free Dairy Queen ice cream cake! A few months back, I attended a local church's rummage sale, entered in a raffle and won this as a prize! So we cashed it in and I let Lily run back and forth in front of the DQ freezer cases to help Rob pick out his cake.

 
Originally, Lily wanted a cake that would be her favorite - all orange icing. But instead, I had her pick for what Robert would like and I think she did a good job picking the balloon confetti cake. The young boy at the check out put a big, blue 1 on the cake for Rob.

 
On the following Saturday, we had family come over to celebrate Rob's first birthday. We wanted to have it outside, but with high winds and cool temps, we kept it inside.
 
This is the cake I made for Rob's birthday, it's a partially homemade double chocolate cake with a homemade Hershey's icing, topped with mini semi-sweet chips. Yum yum yum yum....the cake was gone once the party ended.

 
The night before, Jordan smoked a pork shoulder and that was the main course along with baked mac n cheese, turkey dogs, chips, baked beans and smoked links.

 
I made these flags by cutting them out of brightly colored paper and then taping them onto kite string, they turned out way cuter than I thought they would. Rob looked up at them and began giggling and trying to bat at them. He loved them! Lily didn't want to take them down after the party, so I decided to string them up in the playroom.


Here is my big boy!
 

 
Robert (Sr.), Robert (Jr.), and Jordan Robert. Lots of Robert's all around!

 
Our west side neighbor, Carol with Granny and Papa

 
J. Hatch and Can Man

 
The neighborhood girls, Rachel and Anna

 
Our east side neighbor, Karl, pretending to pose with his wife, Kris who was on a work retreat that day.

 
Cyrus and Linzi

 
The cutie patooties, dressing up and dancing about, although they look a little off in this shot

 
Auntie Bree came too, right after her shift ended at the library

 
We are singing to Rob as one little candle is lit on the cake! Lily was trying so hard to peek up and look at it. I think she did pretty well with all the festivities being focused on Rob. Her birthday is right around the corner, as in next weekend!

 
Rob loved his cake. As in, he ate all of it. Chugged a ton of milk and was one happy little 1 year old.

 
Then Rob (more like Lily) got to open his birthday presents. Police car, tiger flashlight, dump truck with blocks, firetruck with Grover, diapers, bath time ship with toys and Tonka trucks. I think Lily enjoyed this part more than Rob did :)


1 comment:

Susan said...

And it was a super party. Imagine...1 year old. Love the shirt. And oh how I love those DQ cakes but I have to add that your chocolate cake was incredibly delicious. Glad we live close enough to come down...Sad that I don't live this close to all my grands.