Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sewing Machine

My Grandma was a seamstress, although it was not her profession, she could sew almost anything. I can recall her sewing me dresses, costumes, skirts and taking in anything that needed tailored. She had a wonderfully old black Singer that resided in her bedroom. I can remember sitting next to her as a small little girl while she sewed. I remember her patience, her endurance and her focus as she made nothing into something. It was amazing!

Fast forward to my middle school home economics teacher, Mrs. Wolfe. She taught about sewing, cooking, ironing, washing clothes, fabrics and all other things when I was in 7th and 8th grade. I really gained a love of sewing those two years in her class. I learned the basics from hand sewing to working on a machine - threading the needle, threading the bobbin, how to reverse stitch and how to design a project.

Throughout high school I made a few things - like a comforter, quilt and a few other knick knacks but nothing outstanding. I used an older sewing machine that my Grandpa bought for me from a garage sale.

When I moved out from Zanesville, the sewing machine did not come with me. I don't know where it ended up but I do know that with the sewing machine gone, my projects become unexistant.

One Christmas, about 4 years ago, I wanted a sewing machine but they were too expensive. Instead of buying a full size machine, Jordan bought me a small, almost toy-like machine from Walgreens for about $10. It did the job, if I needed a quick stitch then I could whip out my mini machine and get it done. But as far as something 'nice'... yeah right. My machine couldn't handle it!

Our dear little friend Savvy turned 2 a week ago and I wanted to make a special gift for her. My MIL made Lily an adorable apron for her and she loves it. We know bake and cook with her all the time and it's such a great bonding and learning experience for us all. I happen to find this adorable pink, brown and yellow cupcake fabric at Goodwill and pulled out the apron my MIL made and my mini machine. Then I went to work. I was surprised at how well I could replicate the apron using my MIL's apron as a template.

Annnnd... voila!


 When Jordan came home, I proudly showed him the apron I had crafted while he was gone that morning at church basketball. I was a little giddy with the end result and recalled the stories that I just blogged above.

Later that evening, Jordan said he needed to go to Walmart to pick up something for church basketball (he is in charge of running all the league's games). So we went out as a family to Steak n Shake and then headed over to Meijer which is next door.

We were kind of aimlessly walking around when I pointed Jordan in the direction of the athletic gear and told him that I would be near the pharmacy area whenever he was done. Well.. after a little time elapsed, Jordan found us and he said he wanted to show me something in the clearance area. I said okay, and asked if it was a grill. Jordan has an affinity for grills!

He said it wasn't and directed me to a center aisle full of clearance fishing gear.

Umm... okay?

Right as I am about to give him the crazy eye - he makes a sharp right for the....

....sewing machine aisle!!!

He totally surprised me with a sewing machine. Brand new. In the box. That is a rarity in our house, something that is brand new. He did his research and called my MIL and asked about brands, features and prices.

We ended up going with the Brother, Project Runway machine. I love it. I've made 3 pillowcase covers and a pair of curtains for the basement windows. Oh, and an oven mit to match Savvy's apron!

We celebrated a successful completion of my breast pumping career with some cherry sparkling juice and a lovely gift for me!


So excited to open a brand new machine!


I can't even believe how cool it looks!


Threading the needle - ooooh yeah!

4 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

how fun, so many young moms don't know how to sew any more or even mend clothes...good for you! Now you need to take off the word recognition for robots...

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Awesome!! You've needed that for a while now! Watch out world!!

ruth said...

sooo jealous!!! how much?!?! I;ve been dying for a machine for months!! What a cute apron!! congrats! :)

Susan said...

that's a darling replica of the apron. Good for you! And I love my Brother, even tho I always start a discussion by saying, back in the day I would never have considered a Brother..it was always a Singer for me...but around in the late 1990s, Brother's really jumped into the fray. They have amazing features and quite the best machinery. Can't wait to see what you make next. Congrats to you and Jordan for being such a great hubby. Surprises are the best.