This past weekend I made pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Delicious. Next time around, I will make double the icing and add some cream cheese to make it a tad more creamy.
Baking bread had always been a daunting task for me. It just seemed like such a delicate process. And it kind of is. But my mother-in-law showed me numerous times how to get the right feel of the dough. Thank goodness I was able to have an example and I credit my success, in part, to her.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients:
*1 envelope (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
*1/4 cup warm water
*1 tsp. plus 2 tbsp. sugar
*2 eggs
*1/4 cup unsalted butter
*1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
*5 1/2 cups flour
*3/4 tsp. salt
Filling:
*1/2 cup unsalted butter
*1/4 cup sugar
*1 cup brown sugar
*1 tbsp. cinnamon
*1/2 tsp. nutmeg
*1/2 tsp. cloves
Glaze:
*2 cups powdered sugar
*3 tbsp. milk
Instructions:
*Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl. Add 1 tsp. of sugar and let stand for about 5 minutes until foamy. Beat in remaining sugar, eggs, butter and pumpkin.
*Slowly add 5 cups of the flour and salt and mix until a soft dough forms. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead the remaining 1/2 cup of flour into the mixture. (I do this in my Kitchenaid, not by hand). Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and soft.
*Grease bowl, add dough. Cover with plastic wrap (or plastic grocery bag) and let rise until doubled for about 1 1/4 hour.
*Coat 2 13x9 pans (or cover baking stone with wax paper). Make the filling by mixing all ingredients together.
*Once dough is doubled, punch down and roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface into a rectangle (16x10 inches) Spread the filling over the entire rectangle and roll up, like a jelly roll. Pinch seams closed.
*Cut each log crosswise into 12 generous rolls, you can also use dental floss to 'pinch' off the rolls too. Google it.
*Let the rolls rise again, until doubled in size for about 45 minutes in the pans. Cover with a large plastic bag.
*Heat oven to 350 and bake rolls for 28-33 minutes .
*Mix glaze ingredients and spread over rolls after they've briefly cooled
YUM!
1 comment:
In part? I credit my mom 100% with any bread baking success that I experience! :)
Post a Comment