Sunday, June 30, 2013

Summer School


Here is my Lily girl, sipping some milk and eating breakfast on her first day of summer school!

Last summer I had the idea to make a little summer camp for the kids, where a group of us mom's take turns hostessing a little camp day full of fun. It never happened, and this summer I wanted to make sure it did!

I gathered a couple of mom's that have girls the same age as Lily and we organized what we would want our 'summer school' to look like. We created a set schedule that would be the same at each class: every Thursday, from 9-11:30am, play time followed by music/singing time, a snack with book reading and a lesson with craft time. Each class we'd focus on two letters and a theme.


She was so excited! 


I was the first to start teaching and I had the letters A and N. Here are all the girls backpacks set up at the table. 


I had print outs to practice writing letters, markers, pipe cleaners, folders with the girl's names on them and a few books to read during snack time.


Here is Savvy and Tenley during free play time at the first day of summer school


Lily, Savvy, Tenley, Olivia and of course, Rob!


We had a dance party where we acted out tempo and pitch


After the day was done, we passed out star badges to each girl to award them for the greatness in: singing, sharing, picking up, learning and sharing


Kate and Lily seem to be talking to each other


There we go, one good group photo!


Kate!


Olivia aka Olive


Savannah aka Savvy


Tenley!


Lily Mae Hatch :)

We have had 3 more classes so far and it's been amazing. The girls love it. And it's amazing what they learn, retain and reiterate later on. They have learned about geography, days of the week and shapes so far. 

No comments: