Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ash Tree


If you live in Ohio, the chances are that you have heard about the despicable ash bore which is an insect (not native to the US) eats and kills ash trees - which makes up over 20% of Ohio's trees.

The above picture is our sad, dead, super tall ash tree, with all of it's limbs chopped off. 


We knew about two summers ago that the ash tree was dying - in fact, all the ash trees in central Ohio had been infected by this emerald colored beetle thing. It's estimated that it can 'travel' a 1/2 mile or more a season to infect more trees.


About two months ago, when our neighbor's tree fell in a storm, a tree service company came to give them a quote to take care of it. I went out and tried to do a bit of bargaining, three of us in a row all needed trees cut down, and I wondered if they'd give us all a discount if we do it all on the same day. $50 off was the reply. 

Lame.

So I passed on the quote of $850. When the crew comes, the Bright's and the Miller's had both signed up for the tree removal. Right as the crew finishes with the Bright's, I hear a knock on the door and it's the tree service company. They want to know why I wouldn't take the offer and I let them know I had received an offer the previous summer for $600. The deal was set, $650 and they would take it down that day. Done!

No comments: