Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Milestone

It's been a long time coming.

And by that, I mean, from early in 2005 until early of 2013. A total of 8 years. 

The story of my family (of origin) is long, sorrowful, tragic, preventable and complex. 

Those close to me know about how my family crumbled, underneath the drug addiction of my father and the messy separation that proceeded a divorce of my parents who had been married for 23 years and had, us, 5 children.

I was 18 when everything came to a climax, and got married right as my parents were separating. Not really easy for my Mom to be super jazzed about my upcoming nuptials, dress, reception, decorations, etc. when she was ending her marriage. 

My father found a new wife and married her shortly after divorcing my mom in 2008. In the summer of 2009, my father had the option of prison or drug rehabilitation. He chose the latter and has embraced recovery and sober living since then. 

In 2012, my entire family (of origin) began family counseling through our church's program, with a licensed psychologist. After about a year of counseling (and a random drug test), I began the (risky, scary, trust-giving) journey of re-connecting with my estranged father (and his new wife) of 7 years. 

While I've learned many, many things through these trials and experiences (which I should post about another day), the biggest take away for me is that people can change and it usually requires a lot of help from others - especially God. 


On Sunday, March 23rd a milestone occurred. My entire family was together, under the same roof and in the same room, eating one meal, all together. Additions: Jordan, Lily, Robert and Teresa. 

Big stuff. Heavy stuff. At sometimes, awkward stuff. But worth it all the more. 



4 comments:

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen said...

This is great! I am so happy for your family! And your kids will really benefit from being able to have both grandparents at their birthday parties and baptisms and graduations!

The Loops said...

I'm so glad to hear how much things have improved for you. I've always wondered how everything turned out, but didn't want to be too nosy. I sometimes doubt people can change so I glad to hear it still does occur. Thanks for sharing.

Erin Dickson said...

That's so amazing Hillary! Everybody looks great!