Monday, July 16, 2012

Visit to Grandpa

Back in May, we visited my grandpa and grandma at their nursing home in Zanesville.

My Grandpa is notorious for always having sweets. Even as a little girl I can recall that grandpa always had ice cream in the chest freezer that was right outside the door to the garage. There was a corner cabinet in the kitchen that always housed a container of spiced gumdrops. And more likely than not, there would be a large metal canister filled with cookies.  

At some point when I was a little girl, my grandpa worked as a night janitor for the Zanesville country club, where my uncle was a manager. Some times, my grandpa would take me to the country club with him to clean. I remember sitting in a lounge/bar type room, on the countertop sipping sprite from the bar tap and munching on popcorn that had been leftover from earlier in the day. I was watch my grandpa methodically place every chair in it's place and then vacuum, vacuum and vacuum some more, the entire room with one small sweeper. But my favorite part of these trips to the country club would have been when we went to a fancier room, a reception-like room where I would get a handful of chocolate dinner mints to eat while grandpa cleaned up that room. They were like big M&M's but with a mint coating underneath the candy shell. They were wonderful and possibly my first introduction to my love of the mint and chocolate combination.
And the legacy of sweets, lives on today. Every time we go to visit grandpa, he always has candy for Lily, usually a Milky Way bar. She, of course, loves it and when I ask 'What does grandpa give you?' she will happily reply with a big grin, 'CANDY!'.

Here she is enjoying the candy while on her great-grandfather's lap.

Rob is too small for candy at this point, but still got to enjoy some lap time with grandpa

I am pretty sure grandpa is blowing in his face and making him giggle in this picture

1 comment:

Susan said...

what incredible memories. love love love them