Sunday, April 29, 2012

OSU Date Night

Before last weekend, Jordan and I had been on 2 dates in 7 months. Which is a problem.

My smartie friend Colleen, found a few of our friends that live near us and created a monthly date night swap. A fantastic solution!

Jordan and I were contemplating what we should do with this new found alone time and he came up with the idea to go bike around campus (and by campus, I mean Ohio State University). I had just biked that morning so we opted to leave the bikes at home and go walk campus.

We picked up Tommy's Pizza - a small pepperoni/pineapple pizza with a half meatball sub. My mouth is literally watering as I type this! Jordan worked for years at Tommy's Pizza during college, we have many fond memories of that place and the food made there. 

We walked with our pizza in hand to the oval. We took the same paths that we had walked hundreds of times before and the last time we walked them? 4 years ago... but once I started passing the business college, it was like I never left. I should of had my backpack on, iPod playing Ben Folds and a PINK sweatshirt keeping me warm.

We remarked about the new construction (which is always going on) and the newness of campus overall.




I know, your jealous. It's okay. Embrace the fact that you desire Tommy's Pizza and then go get some, because it's well worth it.




Once to the oval and eating up all of our food, we snuggled on a blanket and answered questions that I had brought with us. Questions like "When do you feel closest to me?" or "What do I do that makes you feel the most loved?" or "What simple change could I make to help our relationship?" because I cheesy like that :)

Okay, after a few attempts this picture is still not right side up. Sorry... but you can still see how happy we are either way!


Before we left, we had had to see the brand new library. Um. It's. Amazing. I don't think amazing is the right adjective.. it's phenomenal.



This is what you see once you first enter the library. Sheer awesomeness, or in other words, part of the stacks.. floors and floors of books. And that's only 5 of the 10 floors.

Stairs



We took the elevator up the the 11th floor and this is part of the 360 view that we had.. this is the oval. I will always remember the first time I went on campus, it was with Jordan when we were dating and I tagged along with him to one of his classes. I remembered him telling me that some people got married on the oval and would start the walk down the aisle all the way at the end of the oval and ending right before the library. I would have totally done that!



The horseshoe and the roof of Lazenby (?) Hall. Either Lazenby or Reese Halls

And what is the best thing to do in a library? Read books, of course. Sike. It's find a little cubby hole on the 11th floor and kiss.


Just 4 years ago we would have never wanted to go to campus for a date night. But times have changed and it was a delight to go back and feel nostalgic all over again. We are so thankful to be where we are at now, but will never forget all the hard work we put in the first 3 years of our marriage. We worked, worked and worked and then went school and then study. I don't think we even saw eachother that much except for some Saturdays and Sunday. Between the 2 of us we had 4 or 5 jobs, 2 full time school schedules and 2 demanding roles at our church.

Phew!

Although we are still busy with two kiddos, life is so much easier than it was. Just working from 9-5 on Monday - Friday was a marriage/life changer for us. I am so thankful to our friend Liz who watched our kids so we could go out and be a couple again. Priceless!

2 comments:

ruth said...

What a fun date!!! Love
The pics of you two together and that new library looks like something out of BYU campus. Amazing!!
Sorry I never offered myself to babysit but I'm glad you two kids got out of the house!

Susan said...

what a great memory blog entry. So...I have never been to the Horsehoe nor had Tommy's....how did I miss that? and what's next? Grad school somewhere or just more memory walks?