Saturday, March 24, 2012

6 Months!

Rob is already 6 months old, as in 1/2 year old, as in 6 months away from being called "Baby Rob" to "Little Rob".... wow. If I thought that time flew with Lily, it is going twice as fast with Rob. By this calculation, I can assume that time with baby #3 (which is in the far, far future) will go three times as fast?! I don't know if I can handle all of this growing and maturing. Jordan and I constantly look at each other, puzzled, and say "Lily is a little girl now.." or "It looks like Rob grew three inches today!".

A good family friend, Astrid, came over to watch my kids so I could go to family counseling - that is, with the family I grew up in, not the family I created. Sounds technical, but there is a huge difference :) I recall from my time at OSU in Sociology 200 something it was termed family of origin and family of creation.

Anyway, Astrid came over to watch the kiddos and when I got back the two of them were snuggled up on the couch watching TV. It was precious! Astrid looks to both Jordan and I, and I swear with almost tears in her eyes says with a sweet voice in her adorable Chilean accent, "Guys, I really need to tell you... enjoy your time with these precious children. the time goes so fast. I remember, just like it was yesterday, that I was snuggled with my daughter Sarah on the couch, watching TV. And that was over 20 years ago and now she is in college. So enjoy your time, it goes too fast."

I almost started crying. My Lily. My Lily?! In college, some thousands of miles away??!?! Never. Oh man, I hope people write books about how to deal with empty nesting because I am going to need to read up on that stuff.

Anyway... back to the kids growing up in the present and not the future :)
This past Monday I took Rob in for his 6 month check up:

Height: 27 inches (65%)
Weight: 17lbs 11oz (55%)

At the end of the appointment, it was time for his immunizations. I really do not understand why a parent would chose to not immunize their children. Maybe someone can enlighten me.. Either way, when the nurse gave him shot 1 of 3, he just grunted! It was hilarious. It was like he was more annoyed than hurt. He did cry on the second one (d-tap shot) because that one stings. I had the adult version of the shot in January and my arm hit for a solid week.

I also think that that will be the last time I take both kids to a well care visit. It's just not possible to focus on what the doctor is saying, asking questions, entertaining a 2 1/2 year old and trying to make sure my 6 month old doesn't roll off the exam table!

No comments: