Monday, April 18, 2011

Flower Bed

If I recall correctly, every spring since Jordan and I have been married, I have tried to plant a flower garden in some way, shape or form.

When we were first married we lived in a second story apartment with a small (unstable) wooden deck. There, I tried to put sweet peas, zinnias and morning glorys in flower pots.

Fail.

Our second place of residence was a townhome with a small back patio and an area to plant flowers and a garden. There were flowers that did take - sunflowers that grew taller than Jordan, some zinnias, sweet williams and petunias, my flowers in the pots failed once again... my fatal flaw? I over plant. So sue me.

Now with our house, we have all kinds of land to play with. The previous owner had a professional landscaping team come take care of her yard a few years ago and they planted a lot of nice shrubbery, hostas, bushes and other green things. But Jordan and I both wanted some color, and we don't mind that it's more of an upkeep.

Jordan took a stay-cation the week before last and had a 4 day weekend. We went to work! Aerated the lawn, seeded, fertilized, pulled out weeds, took out all the shubbery in the front bed and replaced it with...
Flowers! Meadow sage, creeping phlox, pansies and hostas


I laid out where all of the plants would go and then got busy. Jordan would have done it himself if I would have let him. But as I said earlier, I have always wanted a flower bed and I wanted to do it myself!


It was a lot of work (and my back reminded me later that I did too much as a pregnant lady) but I enjoyed every minute of it

My company? Lily and Jordan. Lily loves outside. She would be out there all day, every day if I let her. She would walk around and talk and point at all the flowers

She really liked playing with all the leftover cartons that the flowers came in

The creeping phlox! I chose a mostly purple color pallete with a light pink accent color. Jordan always jokes on me about being madly in love with the color purple. I deny it (where is his evidence?!) but most likely I am


Allllmost done. Phew, I was exhausted, dirty and hungry!

4 comments:

ruth said...

well done, hillary!!! you are truly an amazing woman... pregnant or not! it looks amazing!!!

Valerie said...

I must have missed the post where you announced your pregnancy. So belated congratulations!

Susan said...

and it all looked lovely last weekend. I guess I hadn't realized you did this all yourself. I don't remember what it used to look like but I do know what i saw...and it was as lovely as you

Kathleen said...

I'm glad to see a picture of you and your tiny tummy! We need more pregnant Hillary pictures!