Tuesday, April 5, 2011

COSI Trip

If you grew up in the central Ohio area, you have most likely gone to COSI. Oh, good ole' COSI. It's a science center located in the downtown area of Columbus.

Back in the day, as a brownie (girl scout), we would go to COSI on an annual, if not bi-annual, basis. Each time we went, we got to have all kinds of special classes by the COSI staff. We learned about how caterpillars became butterflies (and got to take a worm home with us!), how to dissect owl pellets (poop) to find the bones of the animals they ate that they could not digest and so much more. I loved the Yester Years exhibit which showcased a little town from 1868 and then another town street from 1923. I remember as a little girl with a wild, wild imagination that pure delight I got from walking down an entire new world. I loved it and for 20 or 30 minutes, I was tra nsported back to the cowboy town of 1868, complete with yarn making and a blacksmith shop.

After I quit girl scouts, my trips to COSI really decreased. Middle school and high school came and went without any visits. The COSI I knew actually moved to a new location with new exhibits. When Jordan and I got married, I always told him I wanted to go to COSI, the new location. He was never keen on the idea. He doesn't really enjoy walking around looking at things with minimal interaction (i.e. the zoo, the mall).

Finally,
we got to go and I was so sad that Yester Years had changed! The town was now set in 1898 and 1950. Still enjoyable but I missed the nostalgia from the real COSI. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, my good friend Jen K., invited Lily and I to go to COSI as her free guest! I was beyond excited! All of us had a wonderful time and I loved thinking about all my COSI adventures and the joy it brought to my elementary days.
Lily in the kid zone at the water playground


Playing with huge blocks in the kid zone



Sharing the play kitchen with a little boy



Snack time! Jen, Sabrina and Lily enjoying some goodies



Looking at some frogs in a tank, Lily thought they were hilarious

Doing some grocery shopping for Mommy



I want these adorable play grocery and kitchen sets!


Learning the sounds that a mouse, duck and gorilla make

Bandage station

My double stroller worked like a charm - all three girls loved it!

5 comments:

Emilia said...

I learned recently from Benjamin that owl pellets are actually stuff that owls regurgitate. They don't poop. Weird, right?

This is why we send our children to school. so we can learn all the stuff we missed the first time. ;)

Jan said...

I miss the old Cosi. The new one just isn't the same. But I am glad that Lily had fun there. Oh and I love your double stroller. Where did you get it?

Susan said...

how utterly perfect. i remember as a GS leader the trips to COSI...but more the horrible overnight/lock-ins....on that hard wood floor and the girls never wanting to sleep. But COSI was always the best. How nice of a friend to invite you both. Thank her for me.

Susan said...

oh and one more thought...how Lily would have loved your old aquarium.

ruth said...

what a fun trip!! I miss cosi. We will have to make a trip with the kiddos next week?? cant wait to see you in a few days we will finally be in the same zip code again!