Saturday, May 19, 2012

Half Birthday

On April 28th it was Lily's half birthday! She is officially 2 1/2 years old. And to think.. she will be three years old this Halloween season. Ahhh!

We started a new tradition for our kids, to celebrate their half birthdays. We started when Lily was 18 months and actually a clue about what was going on. I remember we celebrated her 18 month birthday at Red Robin in Polaris with the Eve's. Lily got to eat as many french fries as she wanted that night!

This time around, we decided to stay in and make a train cake. You should know by now that Lily is a Thomas the Tank Engine fan-atic. I found this mold at Goodwill for $2 and we made the cake for her using this recipe and then made the Hershey's icing from this recipe

This combo of chocolate cake and icing is heaven for a chocolate lover and nothing short of that. I request it for every birthday because it is that delicious and it stays moist and tasty for days!

Okay, so I am not the best icing-er out there...my attempt at Thomas :)


It's okay to laugh, I am laughing right now as Lily is telling me "Mama, I wanna eat dat again!!"

Aerial shot!

We light some candles and sang to Lily and let her blow them out. Over and over again until she had mastered the art of blowing out your own birthday candles sans help from parents. She loved it!

Even though Daddy encouraged her to eat Thomas' face first, she chose his funnel instead.
Ohhh.. delicious. I am craving this cake as I sit here and type. The icing is what really makes it. Once you make homemade icing, you will never want to go back to that store bought, preserved, shortening kind.



2 comments:

Susan said...

why laugh...that's a great cake for 2.5 year old. And she was happy, and she could eat whatever first. Lucky little girl. And I so totally agree...there's nothing better than home made icing. Why do people buy the canned stuff when the real is just as easy as a snap. Good for you guys. Dawn is going to be very happy to hear there are more half-birthday celebrators.

Great Grandma Lin said...

That cake looks yummy!