... today I was recovering from giving birth to our precious, sweet little girl - Lily Mae.
I didn't start blogging until January of this year so I didn't record Lily's birth story. So here goes!
On Monday night, October 26th (4 days overdue), Jordan and I were enjoying a large cup of hot chocolate with yummy marshmallows. Before I drank it, I mentioned to Jordan that Lily would go nuts with all this sugar in my (and her) blood stream. We headed to bed and I noticed that Lily hadn't moved since the hot chocolate, which was very strange.
I woke up the next morning, I was working from home instead of going into work, and had a bowl of frosted flakes. No movement again. I laid on my side and waited for her to kick. Nothing. After another hour with no movement, I called the doctor's office. She said to go into the hospital to be monitored and that they would induce me on Thursday evening at 9:30pm.
I called Jordan to let him know and figured I would be back in an hour or so. I go in, they hook me up, and give me apple juice to drink. The nurse does notice some movement, but it was weak. She speaks with my doctor who is on call (twice!) until he finally admits me to start my induction at 5 days overdue. The nurse told me it took some convincing but she had a feeling I needed to have that baby soon.
At noon on Tuesday, they begin the induction. Jordan left work early, went home to pick up a few things and headed over to Riverside Hospital. Thus began the labor. It was a breeze. After 2 hours of contractions and being on a super low dosage of poticin, I had an epidural. HEAVEN. Although the epidural did make me shake on and off, I didn't mind one bit. My family came, friends came and labor progressed wonderfully. At 7:00pm, I was 7 centimeters dilated.
Around midnight on October 28th, I was 10 centimeters and ready to begin pushing.
I pushed from 12:15am until 3:15am. At that point, they called the doctor in and gave me a heads up that one of the following paths would help me deliver this baby - 1) vaccum suction with a max number of three tries or 2) emergency c-section. I was so tired. I hadn't had anything to eat since that morning - a bowl of wimpy frosted flakes! I looked to Jordan and to my Mom and said 'Start praying because I do not want a c-section'. Dr. Wurst came in and with two suction attempts, a nurse on top of me pushing the baby out, Jordan at my neck, two nurses on my feet, a doctor suctioning, a midwife pulling the baby - Lily finally came out!
She was quiet and didn't cry, just a soft, adorable whimper. I was too tired to cry. I looked to Jordan, who kissed me, and we kept saying - we did it, we did it! After being stiched up from a level two episitomy, I got to hold Lily until I began to dry heave. A nurse took Lily back, as Jordan stayed with me as I attempted to ralph into a bowl for what seemed like forever until they gave me medicine in my IV and it kicked in.
Lily Mae Hatch was born at 3:39am coming in at 8 pounds 4 ounces and 20 1/2 inches in length.
And it was over, labor and delivery was done. Life as a Mother had begun and now will continue forever. In an instant Jordan and I changed (for better) forever. It was miraculous!
Fresh from Mama!
Me with baby Lily - I know, I look hott
Snuggling with me later that day
How sweet is this photo?
4 comments:
Happy Birthday to Lily. I love to hear other people's labor stories. All I can say is wow you did not have an easy labor. But I know was all worth it.
Happy Birthday, Lily!
you need to consider a Blog2Print option or one like it. These all are beautiful entries and need to be in hardcopy.
Happy Birthday Lily!! I can't believe it's already been a year!
Post a Comment