Last night Jordan and I watched two episodes of Sister Wive's - a new show on TLC that documents a polygamist family that consists of one man and 4 wives.
I have to say, I was fascinated! I thought I would be disgusted by the show because most current day polygamists are a break off group of the Mormon church. They call themselves Mormon Fundamentalists. They do not belong to the same church that I do, they do not believe the same things I do, they do not live the way that I do. But I wasn't repulsed that they choose to use part of the same name my religion does. In fact, most religions share similarities in their name so there is no need to get huffy about it.
I was so amazed at the complexity of the relationship that the husband, Kody, has with his 4 wives and then the 4 wives relationships with eachother. There was so much crying from the wives, and heart ache, not only expressed verbally but by their body language.
If their unions were so joyous and spiritual then why so much sadness, fear, anger, confusion and tears?
A very interesting look into a culture that is very different from mine.
I am hooked. And thanks to the technology of DVR, I can record the shows and watch whenever.
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh man I have been wanting to watch this! I have been reading about it online.
So this show takes place in Lehi, UT. That's about 40-50 miles SE of West Valley. My friend Shelby works with a guy who grew up a "Fundamentalist Mormon" in Lehi. Though he no longer practices that religion, his parents still do. They are friends and neighbors to Kody & Family. His father attended at least one of Kody's weddings. Shelby watches, too. She made an interesting comment to the effect that they say they practice polygamy because of their religious beliefs, but religion seems to play no part in their day-to-day lives. On the show you never see them reading scriptures, having family prayer or teaching their children about the Lord in their home. Hmmm...
Post a Comment