Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Freezer Meal Bible


I just made this document up for a few of my close friends and then I realized I should put it here on the blog for easy access to anyone who may be interested in freezer meals. If there is a question, let me know! Enjoy :)

Freezer Meal Tips and Tricks

1.        Packaging, dishes and labels

I use foil pans, glass dishes or freezer Ziploc bags. I got to Goodwill or garage sales to pick up extra 9x13’s or pie pans. I look for foil pans on clearance or at the dollar store. When using a foil pan, I wrap the dish in plastic wrap, twice, followed by foil on top. I then use a post it note with what it is and any instructions if need be. I also keep a small dry erase board outside my deep freezer and have a list of what’s in there with the quantity then I can erase and update as needed.

2.       Double it up!

If I make a recipe, I double it. That way, I usually make enough for 3, possibly 4 meals. Eat one that evening, freeze the others for another (lazier) day!

3.       Meat

Shredded chicken – crock pot 6-8 breasts at a time depending on your crock pot size on low for 4-5 hours. After the chicken is done, put in a mixer with a wire whisk and whisk while the chicken is still warm until you get the shredded consistency you prefer. Do not let chicken cool or the chicken won’t shred well. Use in: chicken stuffed shells, chicken pillows, white chicken chili, Italian crock pot chicken, Sarah’s chicken casserole, fiesta chicken, Hawaiian haystacks, white lasagna, chicken pot pie

Mexican seasoned chicken – same steps as above but add your favorite taco/chipotle/Mexican seasoning. Use in: burritos, southwest pasta, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas

Marinaded meat – buy or make a marinade and put in a Ziploc freezer bag and freeze. Allow to thaw in refrigerator so the marinade soaks into the meat.  Use in: flank steak and marinade

4.       Partial meals

These meals require a freshly made addition like rice or pasta. Thaw and warm the main sauce and meat and then add

to your rice or pasta and you’ve got a complete meal! I freeze these partial meals in 2-3 cup Ziploc plastic ware. After

filling the dishes, I put a sheet of plastic wrap over the dish then I pop on the top to make it air tight and keep out frost.

Fiesta chickenhttp://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/05/easy-crockpot-fiesta-chicken.html I also add a can of pinto beans and some chili powder.


Chicken pillowshttp://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/04/chicken-pillows.html I also put in chopped celery

Creamy taco pastahttp://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/07/taco-pasta.html I added a can of pinto beans, another can of chiles and chili powder
Sloppy joes – Ground beef, chopped onions, green peppers and mandwich

Spaghetti – I would like a good homemade recipe for this, but for now, I use ground beef, chopped onions, minced garlic with prego

5.       Pasta Meals
I put these meals in 9x9’s or 9x13’s glass dishes, depending on if I want leftovers of the meal or not. Or if the meal could be used to feed my family and company (like the missionaries).


Beef, mushroom and spinach lasagna – Ground beef, chopped onions, minced garlic with prego, cream of mushroom soup with ¼ c of milk, real mushrooms (optional), spinach (frozen or fresh) and any form of mozzarella or Italian cheeses, all of this in  between lasagna noodles. Sometimes I add in half Italian sausage or half ground turkey.

Chicken stuffed shellshttp://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/09/chicken-and-spinach-stuffed-shells.html I use variations of the cheese called for, and I always use 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese.

Mexican taco shellshttp://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2012/03/mexican-stuffed-shells.html I add crushed tortillas to the topping too
6.       Casseroles
Quesadilla casserole – (Steph’s recipe) at the bottom of this document

Chicken pot pie – See recipe at the end of document

Enchiladas - (Colleen’s recipe)


7.       Marinaded meats

Pair anything marinaded with mashed, twice baked or simply baked potatoes and a salad.


8.       Soups

Serve soups with a frozen bread, tortilla chips, or a fresh bought bread from your grocer’s bakery (check the clearance bread rack!). I also put cheese and sour cream on almost any soup!

Taco bean soup – ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of black beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomatoes with chiles. When I am not as lazy, I do this variation http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2008/10/post-trick-or-treating-soup.html

Black bean souphttp://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=99601 I used an extra can of corn, green chiles and an extra can of black beans to puree and put into the broth.

White chicken chilihttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/cha-chas-white-chicken-chili/ I omit the jalepenos so that Lily will eat this, but feel free to kick the heat up anyway you like. I add another can of pureed beans to the broth, which makes it 4 cans of beans. I will do 3 white beans and then 1 kidney bean to add color and texture to the soup.
Sausage bean soup – 2 (15 oz) cans of cannellini or great northern beans (drained), 1 (15 oz) can of dark kidney beans (drained), 1 (15 oz) can of light kidney beans (drained), 3 (15 oz) cans of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, 6 cup of chicken broth (or 6 cups of water with 6 tsp. of chicken bouillon), 1 lb of Italian sausage, 2 tsp. minced garlic, Salt and pepper to taste

9.       Breads

I love to freeze bread and then warm them up whenever I want, usually with soup to bulk up the meal. Another quick bread that is store bought is called Sis. Schubert’s multi grain wheat rolls. These are frozen dough balls that need 4-6 hours to rise and then pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, brush with butter and they are delicious! There are usually .75 cents off coupons for them too, which doubles at most grocery stores.


Wheat and white rollshttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/light-wheat-rolls/ I roll my dough into 3 small dough balls to rise in the muffin tin, not in a swirl like the picture shows. If you double this, make sure you use a kitchenaid or powerful stand mixer! Do not be afraid of yeast. These rolls are worth learning how to make!
***********
Chicken Pot Pie Crust
The crust is what really makes this pot pie outstanding, flaky and golden. I put the pie crust on the bottom and the top and it freezes perfectly. I let the entire pie thaw and then put it in the oven, covered with foil for an hour and then I take the foil off for 15 or so minutes, to let the top turn golden-brown.
4 c. flour
1 ¾ c. shortening
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 egg
½ c. cold water

Combine flour, shortening, sugar and salt into food processor (or by hand, using forks but the processor is so much easier!). Then combine the wet ingredients and slowly add them into the processor until the dough begins to form. Form the dough into 4 equal balls. At this point, I usually put it all in the fridge and make my filling the next day or later in the day. Once you’re ready, roll out the dough into the shape of the pan (any pan works). Mold onto the pan and then pierce with forks to allow for air flow. Put filling in next and then roll out more dough for the top. Add 4-6 slices to be used like vents on the top crust.

Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hr 15 minutes

This recipe makes enough for 2 pies, top and bottom crusts.

Chicken Pot Pie Filling

I load as many vegetables in this as I can, the more the merrier! You can use fresh but I usually use cans to save time.

1 lb. shredded chicken
1 can of carrots
1 can of green beans
1 can of peas
1 can of corn
½ c. chopped onion
3 potatoes, cubed (I leave the skin on)
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. flour
2/3 c. milk
32 oz. of chicken broth (or 4 cups of water with 4 tsp. of chicken bouillon)
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper (freshly ground is better)

Boil potatoes and celery for about 15 minutes. While that is cooking, melt butter with onions in a big pot. Stir in flour with salt and pepper. Slowly add chicken broth and milk. Use a wire whisk and whisk the crap out of it. It will look funky at first and then start to thicken. Simmer until it reaches the thickness consistency you like – usually 15 or 20 minutes. Stir in shredded chicken. Add the potatoes, celery and then all the canned veggies (drained first!).
Pour into pie shells! Bake at 400 for 1 hr with foil and then 15 minutes without foil. 
Or if you freeze, leave the pies unbaked and wrap in plastic and foil.


Quesadilla Casserole

2 tsp Chili Powder
1. Brown beef and onion in large skillet on med-high heat; drain. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn and green chilies; mix well. Stir in all of the spices except Red Pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add Red Pepper to taste, if desired.

2. Spread 1/2 cup of the beef mixture on bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Top with 3 of the tortillas, overlapping as needed. Layer with 1/2 of the remaining beef mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, beef mixture and cheese.

3. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until heated through (bubbly). Let stand 5 minutes before serving

3 comments:

dawnmercedes said...

i just might have to try this,...even though I am not a fan of freezer meals or left overs. But I do pre-cook and freeze ground beef to make spaghetti and tacos a whole lot quicker!

marissa said...

Super! Now maybe I'll make some meals to freeze before Osker comes, just maybe...

Susan said...

excellent PSA, Hillary!