If you're around my age, I am hoping when you read the title of this post you sang it like Jasmine in Aladdin and visualed a magic carpet ride ;)
But yes, I have entered into a whole new world. My younger sister has moved in with us for an indefinite amount of time. Our home went from 3 to 5 in the span of 4 months. And my head is spinning. Things are fuzzy. Routines are drastically changing. We now have a teenager in our house along with two wee ones.
I feel inadequate right now. I feel like I just mentally and emotionally birthed a new baby, but this baby isn't mine - she's my sister and she's a teenager. My body doesn't ache with post partum exhaustion but my mind does. I know the first 6 weeks will be the roughest and then things will look better. I won't be hoping for her to sleep through the night, instead I will be praying that she fits in at school. Instead of worrying about the cost of diapers, wipes, nursing pads, etc. I will be worrying about the cost of Driver's Ed, braces, prom dresses, corsages, tennis shoes for track, etc. I won't be buying .25 cent jars of baby food or formula - instead I'll be buying extra gallons of milk, after school snacks and food for school lunches.
I know that I will be able to increase my capacity to take care of this new family of mine. It will take time, patience, communication, love, strength, endurance and help from above.
In a way, I am mourning the loss of my small family. I'm sad that things have turned out the way the have - my mom is not well and my dad is unable to provide a space of living for her. I'm not sad that Angela is here but why she got here. I pray, hope that my mother will get well - mentally and physically.
With that, keep our new family in your thoughts and prayers.
Monday, January 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You can do it, Hillary! You'll be in our prayers!
there was never a doubt in my mind. But you used a great opening. you are all on a magic carpet ride...and before you know it the ride will come to an end but oh the magic you will have experienced. And part of the magic is how you and Jordan will be birthed into a different sort of couple. And that too will be wonderful. You've done what the Lord wanted you to do since others could not. And when He expects he also sustains and enlarges...get ready for both. love to all 5, waiting for #6...cuz remember, your initial 4 will need to continue as always. there's always room in a heart.
This will be a great life-changing adventure!! You are up to the task and the Lord will take you NY the hand and lead you!
on reading this again..I realized. I have and can sew prom dresses. One less worry
It's like eating an elephant just take one bite at a time. With God's help you can do it and turn this experience into blessings for all.
Likewise in our prayers! What an amazing sister you are to take her under your wing right now!
you are still in my thoughts!
Post a Comment