Monday, January 30, 2012

Update

So my Mom took Angela back to Zanesville last Sunday. Although Angela said she wanted to stay through the end of the semester, my Mom disregarded her desire and went with her own desire.

It was rough, sad, hurtful, confusing, exhausting and draining. It was a bad day for all involved.

Today, I traveled to Zanesville for our pre-court hearing with the Muskingum County Domestic Relations Court. John (my Dad), my Mom and my Mom's friend were in attendance and we discussed what is going to happen since not everyone is in agreement about where Angela should be right now. I had two options: dismiss the case or continue on to court where the burden of proof will rely on me to show that my Mom is not fit to have Angela live with her.

After much discussion, I did not dismiss the complaint I filed. Unless my Mom gets healthier, we will all go to trial. And Angela's fate will be in the hands of a judge. I am really hoping, praying that my Mom will finally become motivated to get her mental health straightened out. She was completely out of sorts during the whole meeting that lasted for around an hour. But I am so glad she brought her friend with her that could offer an objective perspective to everything that was being said.

Depression is a horrible, life-eating monster that can almost completely consume the soul. My Mom is barely hanging on to that last bit of life that depression hasn't attacked yet. I hope that small portion of her can gain control to fight off and manage her mental illnesses.

I feel like I am re-living an experience that I had about 7 years ago with my Dad when I had to blow the whistle and sound the troops that evil doing was occuring and something needed to be done about it. Not that this is the same situation, but it is similar. Once again, I have to say 'This is not right!" and stick to my guns no matter who badmouths me, yells at me, curses me or hates me. I know what is right and I must stick to it. And once again, the person needing help is defensive, angry and generally is under the impression that I exist to make their life hell. Which isn't true but try telling that to an addict. Not. Happening.

So, wow, my posts have been uber depressing the last 4 months...

But with all the good, care free, lovely, wonderful times must come difficulties as well. And I am an open and honest blogger for my own good. I want to put it all out there to notate it, learn from it and remember the lessons gained during a time of struggle and hardship. I also hope that others will be able to gain something from it too - strength to continue on through something in their lives that is hard or just knowing that yes, someone else has struggles in their life and that they are not alone.

With that, I need to post the happy points that happen everyday in my life. So I will get on that, soon and with some adoooorable little pictures of the family

5 comments:

The Loops said...

I'm so sorry Hil. I know the feeling of when something is not right within your family and you feel you absolutely have to stand up for what you think is right no matter how much opposition you face. In these types of situations there is really never a happy ending, but hopefully you can find peace knowing you will always do what you know is right in your heart.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I admire your strength to protect your sister and get your mom to realize she needs help. All experiences even the most difficult teach us lessons that we need to learn to progress. My thoughts and prayers go with you. Love-Lin

Susan said...

Hillary...you do what only a good person would do. Most people turn their heads and act like they haven't seen it and then what do you get (ask Penn State and Coach Sandusky/Paterno). But it's time to move on. Life is so good for your family. Yes, do blog it. It'll brighten your day. But for me, I am so grateful to number you among my daughters. And remember, We'd still love to have A up with lake Erie calls to the NHB

beth malarkey said...

YOu are a courageous young lady!!! Remember too that the voice that speaks out against something very dark and wrong will always get attacked. Not speaking though(which many choose to do) allows for deep secrets to get passed down to the next generation. It seems to me that you have so many others in mind than yourself here...God bless you Hilliary!!! You are a warrior and will save lives in the pursuit of doing what is right!!!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Keep up the hero-work, Hillary! We love you.